Xcel Energy is proposing a substantial upgrade to the electrical grid serving parts of Medina and Plymouth, MN. The project’s name is called the NSP: Hollydale Project. According to this Lakeshore Weekly News story, Xcel Energy intends to rebuild 8 miles of transmission lines as they state that the current system was built for a rural settle and the lines need to be upgraded to meet the demands of all the growth and development in the area. The current transmission lines carry 69 kilovolt (kV) and the new lines will carry 115 kV…a substantial upgrade.
There is an advisory task force being created because no doubt this upgrade is going to cause a lot heartache for a number of people, neighborhoods and land owners.
IF YOU ARE BUYING OR SELLING PROPERTY IN MEDINA, MN OR PLYMOUTH, MN YOU MUST MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT’S GOING ON WITH THIS XCEL ENERGY UPGRADE. If you are buying right now, now that this has been announced, you will be in for a rude awakening if some day you find out the new 60-80′ tall transmission poles pictured below, start showing up in your backyard. (The picture below is from Xcel Energy’s fact sheet where they describe the project).
Xcel Energy expects to have approval on the project from the PUC by February or March 2012. The construction of the new transmission lines should be completed by some time in 2013.
Key links to consider:
Xcel Energy Final Hollydale Project Fact Sheet (Nov. 23, 2010)
- LOCATION MAPS linked below by geography
This will impact your real estate folks. We all need the power, but if you own property near the proposed transmission lines, I recommend you pay very close attention going forward. It may be too late to have any impact, but it’s best you’re informed so you can get involved starting today.
- First Wal-Mart, Now a Mosque – Plymouth, MN Planning Commission Entertains Controversial Development Plans (johnmurphyreports.com)
- (Video) Northwest Plymouth, MN New Construction – Elm Creek Highlands – New Homes by Pulte (johnmurphyreports.com)
- Hunter Drive Road Construction Medina, MN – Preparing for Lennar’s New Development – The Enclave (johnmurphyreports.com)
- Plymouth, MN Upper Bracket Home Sellers Conundrum (johnmurphyreports.com)
- Plymouth, MN Foreclosure Inventory Dreadful – Fewer Than 20 Properties for Sale (johnmurphyreports.com)